Time: 6 to 7:30pm
Location: 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, 1st floor training room, Riverdale, MD 20737
Do you want to become a CASA Hero?
Join us for an information session on February 20th, 2018 at 6pm to learn more about the Court Appointed Special Advocate volunteer role. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP. Location – 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, First Floor training room, Riverdale, MD 20737
Are you someone who believes that children have the right to live in a safe & nurturing home? Do you think that if given the right support a child can thrive? Have you ever considered volunteering to help children in need? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are for the child and Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/Prince George’s County is looking for you!
CASA is a volunteer-based organization that partners with the juvenile court to improve the lives of abused and neglected children living in foster care. CASA, Prince George’s County trains and supervises volunteers from the community who advocate for the best interest of children, recognizing and respecting each child’s individual needs. Our volunteers are both advocates, with the right to speak for the child’s best interest in court, and mentors, who guide their CASA youth through the system and problems they may be facing.
In about 12 hours per month, CASA volunteers spend time with a child in foster care and advocate for his or her proper care and placement in a safe, permanent home. To prepare our volunteers for their role, 37 hours of training is provided. The training contains a total of 8 required classes and one day of Courtroom Observation (8:30 am – 4:00 pm) which will be offered during the training cycle. A light dinner will be served at each training. Once you complete training, you personally decide on the dates and times you spend meeting with your child and working on their behalf.
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Must be at least 21 years of age or older
● Ability to pass background screening Criminal Background Check; Driving Record Check; Child Abuse Registry Check; Social Security Number verification; National Sex Offender Registry; Reference Checks (3)
● Ability to attend 37-hour pre-service training
● One year or one case commitment to the program
● Ability to commit 10-15 hours per month to case, including visiting the child at least twice per month and regular meetings with Case Supervisor
● Acceptance of a case assignment after completion of pre-service training.
– 37 hours in classroom
– 1 day of courtroom observation
– Flexible Schedule
– 10 to 15 hrs/ month
– 2 visits/ month with youth
– Case Supervision 1x/every 6 weeks
– Court Hearings 2x/year dependent on case
– 12 hrs of continuing education/1 year
Application and Training:
● To apply, please visit www.pgcasa.org/become-a-volunteer.
● To be considering for the next training session, you must apply, attend an in-person interview, and be accepted into training.
● Training is held the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons.
● Email email@example.com for more information or check out www.pgcasa.org!
● Our next training will begin in April 2018 at 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
CASA volunteers ensure that the court and child welfare systems remain focused on the specific needs of individual youth, so that these needs, including the need for safety and permanency, are addressed expeditiously.
CASA volunteers serve as investigators, mentors, recorders, and ultimately advocates.
CASA volunteers visit their youth at least 2 times per month, and their case supervisors once every 6 to 8 weeks.
This is a unique chance to become invested in your community by spending time with a youth in foster care and advocating for his or her best interests in court. You will be offered 4 weeks of training to become an advocate. You could help create and ensure better outcomes for a youth in need by being a part of his or her team. For more information, please visit our website at www.pgcasa.org or call 301-209-0491.
Brianna Tiedeman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing and Recruitment Coordinator
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/ Prince George’s County, Inc
6811 Kenilworth Ave, Suite 402
Riverdale, MD, 20737