CASA Prince George’s County Gives Children Help When They Need It the Most
National research shows that children with a CASA child advocate are half as likely to languish in foster care and much more likely to find safe permanent homes than children who do not have a CASA volunteer. For many abused children, their CASA volunteer is the one reliable adult in their lives. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. Every day, CASA volunteers are standing up for children.
CASA volunteers help children live better lives. We create meaningful impact in the lives of thousands by providing volunteers with the knowledge and skills to help children.
Here are just a few examples of our success:
- In FY16 156 volunteers served 161 youth.
- Referrals from the Court requesting a CASA volunteer increased by 100%, demonstrating the Court’s confidence and the need for CASAs.
- Received a 2016 Civic Leadership Award from the Community Foundation
- Received the 2015 Governor’s Service Award for our Volunteer Program
- In the past three years,nearly 300 children received direct, one-on-one support in relationships from caring CASA volunteers. Each of these children had a volunteer who focused on permanence and stability.
- In the past three years, over 100 children we served achieved permanence. About 30% of children who achieved permanency were able to safely return to their biological parent(s). Of the children who achieved permanence, there were no reports of new abuse or neglect.
- Of the recommendations CASA volunteers make during court hearings, 84% are ordered by the court which means more services for children served by CASA.
- Diversified our volunteer force to nearly mirror the ethnicities of the children and youth we serve.
CASA Volunteer Spotlights: Learn about real CASA volunteers
See what our CASA Champions are working on now.
CASA was named “One of the Best” nonprofits in the region by Catalogue for Philantropy and was named a Gold Participant by the GuideStar Exchange for our commitment to transparency. See our Guide Star profile.
CASA is a GuideStar Gold Partner